Thursday, January 17, 2008

for obvious reasons, i couldn't wait for the day to end.
as i headed home drained, all i wanted was a long bath and my bed (decided to skip the church service)

i need to confess, i wasn't in turmoil over just the two events of the day,
the two women's dilemma brought back some unpleasant perhaps repressed memories.

exactly 5 years 2 months and 18 days ago, i was in the same position, my reaction was not anything like my reaction today.

the event
one of my girls,(she knows am writing about this) had gotten pregnant by a "hit and run" just 23years old without a meaningful job or income opted for abortion.
Saying i came down hard on her would be really putting it mildly! (i was a baby christian at the time) i refused to be a part of it, i pointed out all the other options available, i even offered her financial assistance, i didn't speak to her for two weeks.

i remember that day very vividly, it was sista Roli's 35th bday (that was the only day the particular clinic did the procedure)
we had all prearranged months prior to take her out since she didn't want any "noise"

not knowing she had the procedure done that day or what the recovery process was, i arrived at sista Roli's house dressed and ready to go out, only to meet five solemn faces.
when i found out she had the abortion that day, i was livid! she chose the day knowing well it was sister Roli's bday and boy, was i ready to tell her how selfish she was.
i asked to see her in sister Roli's room, sister Roli begged me to leave her alone but no, i insisted, it must have taken her like 5 minutes to get up but i wasn't deterred.

once in the room, let's just say, i said a whole load of crap, she didn't say a word! she just sat there looking at me with the saddest eyes (she was sitting cos she was too weak to stand) i yapped and yapped and yet she just sat there staring as if not seeing (she's not the kind not to fight back)
still not satisfied, i made to take my tantrum to the others, i turned to take one last look at her and i guess say more crap, she was now in a heap on the floor sobbing quietly...

my heart broke into a million pieces at the sight of my feisty childhood friend curled up into a ball weeping uncontrollably, as i stood rooted to the spot, she started to howl much like a wounded animal..

hours later all six of us laid on the floor in that darkened bedroom exhausted from crying.

we try not to remember the crying fest that was sister Roli's bday party...(no noise, just an ocean of tears)




*****************************************************************************
so u can understand my state of mind.

reluctantly i accepted Mr my1's offer to bring dinner and hang out for a little while.
knowing how i love to eat,he watched in silence as i played with the food, he tried to make jokes, made a comment about my not having music blasting as usual.(wareva)

as much as i didn't want to talk about it then i knew he wouldn't leave unless i did, so i told him about the events of the day.( i couldn't tell him about my girls 's past)

his eyes narrowed,(i was so not prepared for what was coming)and his mouth opened and closed for what seemed like an eternity..

basically, he was surprised i didn't try to persuade her(little sister) to have the baby, how he thinks she obviously came to me for direction seeing that she didn't come to me the fist time, and how it was not just her decision alone, if the father wanted her to keep the child she shud def keep it.(i asked,does wanting mean the same as will be responsible for? to his annoyance)
he wanted to know if i wud kill his child(o yes,i told him,i didn't know he had a child to more vexation)

he went on to complain about how he was not happy i spent the first weekend of the year with my girls(yes o, we went away to the mountain top) how we have not had "the couple's reflection and plans" for the new year (there is such a thing?)blah blah..

all i had was a rueful smile on my lips, i had no fight in me at all.
he finally left in a huff to my relief.(he later called to apologise and we talked long into the night)

i wish he'd known that, us girls had to go away that weekend because over the Christmas holidays we realized our lives are changing rather rapidly and will def never be able to get away together as usual for a long time.
why? despite three out of the five being married, we were still able to get away together at least twice a year, but now, with a child on the way, we had to accept the inevitable.

yes o, my girl is expecting her first baby! and i get a chance to redeem myself,(yes, am still paying)i have resolved to be there for her every step of the way.(her poor husband has accepted his fate)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

O wow. Ur a very lovely person with a nice heart. I found out 2 weeks ago that ma cousin had an abortion n guess what? I'm not suppose to let her know I know about it. Its been bothering me n I can't say nothing.
I really wish she came to me eventhough I know I would have gone a lil crazy.
Don't blame ur bobo abeg, he just missed u that's all. Its all love babe.

Bubbles said...

I guess ur different response to the same issue shows how much u have matured since that time. Life is not black and white and sometimes we might be caught in the gray area. I can't imagine being in that situation and regardless of the choices both women made, it takes a lot of strength. A lot.

Simi Speaks said...

It's always a tough decision to make. I havent been in that situation but someone dear and close to my heart has. And it was no joke.

It still hunts her till this day even tho she's happily married now with a baby on the way.

TheAfroBeat said...

Yep, can definitely see how you've matured in the 5 years, _ months and 18 days ;)

I tend to be pretty judgemental sometimes and remind myself that sometimes, all a person really wants/needs is an ear not another mouth. I'm also trying to learn to shut up if I don't have anything to say that builds pp up. This doesn't mean I don't speak my mind but sometimes, just taking a step back and thinking, "will what i say build this person up or shoot them down?" can go a long way.

You go girl for taking some girl time to yourself. He potentially has the rest of your life together for couple's resolutions et al. ;)

flawsandall said...

I can understand why you handled these situations with so mucht tact knowing you have been down that road b4...

Im fine dear, thanks for asking

Naapali said...

A life well lived is not one that is mistake free but one where mistakes are a part of growth. Perhaps, a few years from now your views on the role of men in pregnancy/children's lives will change.

Sherri said...

@dl,
thanks babe,
how are u?
just let me know u'r ok

love ya

@bubbles,
yes o
will waka come o
thanks

@simi speaks,
some say it's more traumatic to have abortion than to give birth
how goes it?

@theafrobeat,
they do say experience is the best teacher. we can't help being judgemental that would make one spineless but we can help not inflicting more pains.

@zephi,
baby luv!
when u love someone u got to have their back always.



@naapali,
wisdom of the ages!
i recognise the role of men in pregnancy/children lives for what it is.
just not in the decision making.
perhaps when technology has advanced far enough to enable men get pregnant.
how u dey?

Aspiring nigerian woman said...

It is a very difficult and painful experience. The not telling anyone about your predicament. You just graduated, thinking you met the love of you life, waiting to get into an Ivy League grad. school. The responsibility of being the first child, carrying the family’s dream on young shoulders. It is a tough call, really difficult.

The appointment with the doc., all by yourself, the referral to the clinic for the procedure. Waking up every morning to morning sickness and touching your belly very few minutes and wondering why you decided to take this route. The waiting in the clinic with other girls, young, old and married, the scan, anaesthesia, the procedure itself and bang, it is over! The drive/taxi back home and the tears that come after. Many years later, you still can never tell anyone and will never forgive yourself. The woman is equally a victim, as the unborn.

Allied said...

I went through this with my close friend. i am anti abortion and it took her a while to tell me because she thought i will be livid.

I was, and we cried together. The hardest thing was to drive her there. I had to make a choice. A choice that still hunts me today

Sherri said...

@anw,
wow!
thanks for putting feeling to words
very aptly
am forever thankful i was not the only friend she had at the time.


i hope time brings forgiveness and healing
i think it's important to be able to tell someone, that someone can be God the unseen friend that sticks closer than a sister.

thanks for stopping by.

@allied,
count urself blessed luv,
our God is a loving God, what better way to show his love than putting our own beliefs and feelings aside for the benefit of others?

Unknown said...

May the lord give her the strength to carry on

Joy Isi Bewaji said...

its a good thing u had no fight in u, i mean with ur bobo... simple issue not properly handled can grow wings and become a witch! lol!!
it must have been a refreshing girls' time out.
later dear!

Ms. emmotions said...

not an easy decision i tell u,

hmmm, ur responds shows ur maturity indeed.

ur guy is tryna protect wat he has oo

Simi Speaks said...

no updates yet? common on girl..

:-0

Sherri said...

@olamild,
amen.
thx luv

@isi,
how u dey babe?
he was just lucky jare.lol
yes o, we had a blast

@ms emotions,
thx o
protecting his interest? that's selfish.

@simi speaks,
kilo nsele luv?
alahu now!
i dey crazy bizy

laspapi said...

I don't know, Sherri. Life rarely spins in the planned direction. This made me think a lot.

Carlang said...

We all do things in the past that we wish we could had one differently.
It's very rare that we're given the opportunity.

You've got a lovely heart.

Allied said...

Update now..

Sherri said...

@papi,
thinking is good papi.
how u dey?


@Carlanq
my sweetie pie!
much as i wished i could have done it different, i also know that if had, i probably won't be the person i am today.
lovely heart?
as declared by Carl with a C
how've u been ?

@allied,
i dey go i dey come o.
she u dey?

flawsandall said...

errr update already jo!!!

Afrobabe said...

lol...I can imagine that cry fest...I would have been laughing my head off....

So isi sent you to me abi...she wants me to spoil you?? seeing as you are a baby christian!!!

Sherri said...

@zephi,
how are u luv?
i dey come now

@afrobabe,
welcome ur royal hotness!
laugh ke?i fear o
no worries about spoiling me o
don't let the christianity fool u
i might be able to teach u a trick or two.

Afrobabe said...

Hmmm...lol..I am a willing learner...if there is any such grammar...