Monday, February 25, 2008

Managing expectations and obligations

i think i just found my mind!
when did i lose it? how? too many questions

I came home Sunday night after another weekend away.
as the peace and tranquility enveloped me. i realized how much i have missed my house.
the familiar hum of the viking refrigerator,the plushness of my afghan sofa, even the annoying whirring of the gas boiler.

after checking my voicemail, i went from room to room getting reacquainted with my home. my bedroom, just the way i left it Friday morning as i hastily packed,clothes strewn on the bed and chaise. the floor,it was spotless!
a half drunk cup of tea sits on the nightstand right next to a stack of newly acquired books begging to be read.

i hang the last of the clothes in the closet to reveal the perfectly made bed. not able to resist anymore, i get into my bed still fully clothed and i happily pulled the comforter over my head.

it seems my bed has missed me too, cause it gently cuddles me in its bosom as if to never let go. i hug my body pillow even tighter.

i was awaken out of my reverie by the whine of my front door sensor followed by footsteps on the stairs. a deep sigh, just as Mr my1 walks in with my bags.
i would have loved to have seen my own face, cause he dropped the bags and rushed over, asking if i was alright.

as i raise my eyes to meet his worried and searching gaze,i knew i had to tell him. that, i am so damn tired of keeping up appearances and i need my weekends to myself. just me by myself in my pyjamas all weekend puttering around, reading, eating anything and everything or just doing whatever i please!

i know, some of you are probably thinking. she's having a meltdown! (Au contra re!)
did i say i found my mind?

we have spent nearly every weekend together meeting expectations since December except for the one with my girls in January. okay, the Christmas period and the parties was fun even romantic. but it's not fun anymore. between his obligations and mine we have practically every weekend booked! did i mention, i am a recovering recluse?
why do we have to be at social gatherings together?
cause we are expected to!

if i show up without him, i will spend half the time explaining his whereabouts to each enquirer. answers like, he's busy or he has other engagements is the same as saying we 're not together anymore.

it's a different cup of tea if he shows up without me, more often it's perceived as him been on the prowl or escaping from my deathly grip depending on the gathering.
if it's a close friend of his, i get labelled a snob. several times, after he 'd walked in alone, his close friends had called me to ask why i didn't come with him. one even succeeded in making me feel so guilty i had to get dressed and join them.

so, i just came out and told him outright. i am exhausted and i will not be going anywhere next weekend and maybe the next. no more "just showing faces".

he sat there in silence for a while one brow arched while twisting the ring he now wears on the second finger of his left hand.
finally, he asked if it had anything to do with his aunt and uncle's interrogation this weekend at his cousin's wedding. i suppress a laugh as i answered in the negative.
he smiled and he simply said "that's okay babe".

i did a little victory dance inside.

i understand the necessity of expectations but,i just refuse to be a slave to it.
i also understand the futility of trying to meet society or other people's expectations. frankly, i find it quite exhausting.
the only expectation i care to meet is mine and mine alone.

33 comments:

Anya Posh said...

That's terribly sad that you had to put up with these obligations in the 1st place. Social gatherings should be purely that - social. When someone is feeling socially inclined, not when it becomes a chore. I'm glad your partner took it well. These things can strain relationships.

lemonade factory said...

thanks sherri 4 d hug, i really needed it,been down so bad lately,huh society and what everyone expects,i stopped dat a while back when i realised how much ppl sucked, how easy they point finger at u for the same things they do in the secret mo ti gbo oro eti mi tija,now i do what i want if it dont pls anyone then dats their business.....from the days of john the baptist ni won tin soro....ur glad to have an understanding better half.....one who understands when u just need to be urself, am glad at ur outlook on things.......u first others follow,after all these are the same ppl who will spare no words about u when they have the chance,so why be miserable in keeping up appearances

Jinta said...

'escaping from my deathly grip'

i dont think you can see how extremely funny that is: i pictured you with talons embedded in his flesh, eyes blazing a dare..

being yourself will make both of you happier

Anonymous said...

you feel he's stifling you...talk to ur homeboy abourrit..let him know how u feel...but i hope he wont take it as you dont want to be with him again!

Afrobabe said...

I haven't slept more than a night in my house since I started dating this guy in November...wonder why I STILL HAVE THE PLACE....keeping up appearances I guess...

But sometimes i really need the space too its just easier to stay put than explain to him that its not him its me...yes..so I STAY PUT!!!

guerreiranigeriana said...

amen...nicely stated...glad he seems to understand...trying to meet expectations of others surely will drive you mad...lol @ jinta!!!...

Sherri said...

anyaposh..u're so right.
it was sad and very stressful.

shola* anytime babe.
what's getting u down?

nothing more beautiful than a woman in control of her life jare.
people will always talk, why become a puppet?

us females do this a lot, trying to please everybody but ourselves.

Jinta* u forgot foaming in the mouth. lol
lovely foto dude!

pink satin* girl!
not just him, everyyyyyyybody!
it's suffocating when everyone expects us to be everywhere together.
he def knows how i feel, just that we differ in outlook. he 's mr nice, someone invites him to something. he will "at least show face" to prove he cares. while i believe i never need to prove anything to people who count.

afrobabe, hmmmm, since november? that's frightening! i love my solitude too much o
staying put? is that ur desire?

if u don't speak up how's he to know it's not working for u?

my dude actually convinced himself i was coming out of my shell! i be turtle?

Gnigeriana, the things we do just to please.
jinta! dont u just love him?

Afrobabe said...

lol @ turtle...I just love sleeping at his place...its bigger, nicer and feels like home....may my mum not hear this...

flawsandall said...

sherrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiii

aww, your so honest with yourself its cute...
yeah sometimes you have to do you and shove other peoples expectation somewhere sometimes..the most important thing is that you have your peace of mind..
unlike you I have been doing the sitting in my room , watching tv, snacking, reading and being lazy for the past weekends...this week I am going to party it up...wohoo

Sherri said...

afrobabe
y not get ur own bigger, nicer place?
am def telling ur mom.lol

zephi-baby luv!
enjoy it now, cos b4 u know it, life get more crowded.lol

parry on girl!
i 'll be the happy schlumperding this weekend.

btw,
tell dl i said kudos..

Today's ranting said...

individuals need their space sometimes.

Anonymous said...

tell me abourit my boyfie is awya on holiday and i know this sound crazy i am loving it he wants us to be together like every weekend and sometimes it is as if i am being suffocate d. i am not saying that i dont miss him but sometimes it is nice to be by yourself. Good on you

Aspiring nigerian woman said...

I feel you jare. My husband & I end up going to places together, with his boring friend's wives, who only talk about babies, cars and designer stuffs. I am always so bored, I could die sometimes. Most times, I want to hang out with my "silly friends" and talk about nothing else expect "eastenders", not having to worry about what people will say if I don't go out with him.

Ms. emmotions said...

hehehe,
i no it aint funny dear,
but i couldnt help laughing at d way u gave an in-depth description of ur house, lol, one would think u spent more time missing it than u did having fun,

welcome home,

Sherri said...

@today's ranting
yep! yep!

@misspumpng,
it's not crazy at all.
loving someone shud not entail losing ur own essence.

@aspiringnw,
how awful! for what?
i hope u've learned not to worry about what ppl will say.

@ms emmotions,
i did spend more time missing my home than having fun!
glad u got a laff at my expense.

'Yar Mama said...

We all need time alone to unwind and find our inner self...its important

TheAfroBeat said...

woo hoo!! you go Sherri! i'm doing a little victory dance for you as i type this under my covers ;)

You definitely deserve some you-time on the weekends when you're not buzzing from the stress of work. And you're blessed with an understanding fellow who puts your needs first it seems, so that's always a good thing. To hell with people's expectations!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

hear, hear! Say no to unnecessary social expectations.

lol!



NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

BTW, thanks for sending me that note. I am slowly recovering from cold and flu and all I want to do is lie down and sleep for ages!



NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

It's really stifling to have to keep up appearances...for how long can one do so? Nice for you that your Mr. understood!

Sherri said...

yar mama* u're so right..

afrobeat* thanks babe.
dude was deluded! until i spoke up.
i repeat with u, to hell with people's expectations!! lol

how u dey?

solomonsydelle* NO!lol
hope u're all better
take am easy o

Nyemoni*yes o
doing good?

Naapali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naapali said...

Good for you standing up for yourself. It also sounds to me that you have a good thing going with Mr.

Sherri said...

naapali* thx, did u mean he has a good thing going?lol

O'Dee said...

"the only expectation i care to meet is mine and mine alone."
Thats d 1st step forward, pples xpectations sldnt define wt u do (oh xcept ur Mans).

1st tm er.

Sherri said...

oluwadee** i say even ur man's if it's unrealistic or contrary to ur essence.

good to see u here

soupasexy said...

sherri, how are u gonna cope when you get married..its worse, seing him 24/7...or dont u wanna get married? am jus tryna understand sha..am new here and am really enjoying this:0)

Sherri said...

soupasexy**that's why am not married yet.

welcome to blogville

laspapi said...

sherri mango,
I've missed you. Strange that in your relationship, it's the female who spoke up about the 'tight marking'. Usually, it's the guy who feels stifled first.

ps. Can the guys think back to their 'very first time' too?

Sherri said...

@papi,
funny u shud say that, my mom says that's the reason females are encouraged to marry before they become set in their ways.
translation:before they get their own clearly defined identities.

am sure females do feel stifled too, but won't speak up cos of the disease to please.

do females really want to know about the guy's "first time"? i think not!

how u dey?

lemonade factory said...

sherri,am doing great ho... thanks for loving me ho,btw pls leave me a contact email add

Sherri said...

shola,
my pleasure babe!
will email u pronto.

doll (retired blogger) said...

i totally feel you, these social obligations could be very tiring sometimes and one is blacmailed by society expectations